Epicor SSRS Report Setup and Overview
As a leading Epicor consultant for the mid market, we’ve noticed that a lot of Epicor customers have recently reached out to us regarding Epicor SSRS reports. As with any new system, Epicor 10 has some great new innovations; however there are always new items that take a little bit of time to get used to. We specialize in helping businesses realize the potential of their Epicor ERP systems, and in this case, we will be sharing a simple tutorial on how to setup an Epicor SSRS report.
A common question our Epicor 10 customers have is how to generate an Epicor SSRS report? If you are new to Microsoft’s SQL reporting system, here is a hassle-free report setup guide and overview.
The step-by-step process of how to setup an Epicor SSRS report in your Epicor 10 system:
SQL Report Builder (SSRS) is a reporting platform for business users working in an Microsoft environment. In designing the report, users specify where to get the data, which data to include, and how that data will be displayed. When the report is ran, the report processor channels the specified data through a retrieval system and combines it with the report layout to generate the report.
- Grant VPN access to the software implementation provider.
- If there is more than one resource, make sure to provide enough logins to work off of simultaneously.
- Set up Active Directory and provide login credentials: domain, username and password.
SSMS- User/Group Setup for Editing
- Add login- our recommendation is to set up an active directory group (e.g., Epicor Report Editor) rather than individuals.
- Navigate to SQL Server Management Studio> Security> Logins> Right Click> New Login.
- Click Search.
- Type in domain and username. into the Enter the object name box> Click Check Names.
- It should find user and link:
- Click OK.
- Click User Mapping (third option in Select a Page Tree) and select the SSRS database.
- Select “db_datareader” in the Database role membership for: [report database].
SSRS Security Settings
- Navigate to the SSRS Report Server URL (e.g., [servername/ reports], at highest level (reports folder)> Select Security (hover over reports folder, dropdown will appear. Click Security).
- Again, recommend to have an active group directory.
- Need to add a New Role Assignment (e.g., Epicor Report Editor).
- Grant the following permissions (browser, publisher, report builder).
- Test the connection:
- Drill down in reports folder to the SharedReportDataSouce
- Click Security.
- Click Properties> Test Connection. Message should display “Connection Created Successfully.”
Report Builder (High Level Instructions for Customizing Shipped Epicor Reports)
- Navigate to the SSRS Report Server URL (e.g., [servername/reports]. Note there are two URLS, one to the server (will be a file directory if navigating from browser) and one for just reports.
- You navigate in your internet browser to the “/reports” URL.
- Connect to the report server
- Go to File> Open> Recent Sites/ Servers, type in https://[servername]/reportserver in the name field.
- Click Open. (This will stay after connecting the first time.)
- You may be prompted to input login credentials. Those will be provided by the administrator for the server.
- Navigate to the folder where the report is located and Open Report.
- Perform a “Save As,” and use naming convention:
- Save it to the same folder but with a new name.
- DO NOT SAVE OVER THE BASE REPORT.
- Run the report in E10- ERP100700.
- Try to do a duplicate, or something close, to the sample provided in the legacy report PDF.
- Get the GUID.
- Retrieve the GUID from the System Monitor located at the bottom right corner of your screen; it is the last field on the reports tab, under FileName, and will say REPORTDATABASE: fjaldskfjds;lkfjslkfjds;lkfjds.
- Omit the REPORTDATABASE part.
- In Report Builder, expand parameters and right click on Table Guid.
- Click Parameter Properties> Default Values> Add: Paste Guid,
- Click Run to verify the Guid works.
- To test your Data Source connection in Report Builder, you may right click on the data source and click Properties> Test Connection.
- Make report changes.
- Add the report style in Epicor:
- System Management/ Reporting
- Report Style
- Name the New Style
- Modify the report location to include the named report.
- Test the report in Epicor.
- You have successfully setup an SSRS report in your Epicor system.